Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2021  |  Volume : 9  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 40--44

Evaluation of olfactory fossa depth using computed tomography in South Indian population: A retrospective study


Divya Teja Patil1, L Yashas Ullas1, A Chaithanya1, S Dhanvarsha2, Aluru Venkata Sai Nikhilendra Reddy3, Harshadeepa Srinivasa4 
1 Department of Radiodiagnosis, Sri Devaraj Urs Academy of Higher Education and Research Centre, Kolar, Karnataka, India
2 Department of Medicine, Chinmaya Mission Hospital, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
3 Department of Radio-Diagnosis, Sri Devaraj Urs Academy of Higher Education and Research Centre, Kolar, Karnataka, India
4 Department of Medicine, Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

Correspondence Address:
L Yashas Ullas
No. 59/2 Kannur Village and Post Hennur Baglur Main Road, Bengaluru - 562 149, Karnataka
India

Context: Anatomical variations are very important in planning a paranasal sinus (PNS) surgery. Currently, there are limited data on olfactory depth in the South Indian subpopulation. Aim: The aim of this study was to determine the olfactory fossa (OF) depth using Computed Tomography (CT) in the South Indian population. Settings and Design: This retrospective study was conducted in radiology, Sri Devaraj URS Medical College, Tamaka, Kolar. Materials and Methods: A single radiologist analyzed computed tomography (CT) and medical records of 287 patients from October 2020 to March 2021. OF depth (Keros classification) was considered the primary outcome variable. Statistical Analysis Used: Descriptive analysis was carried out by mean and standard deviation for quantitative variables, frequency, and proportion for categorical variables. P < 0.05 was considered statistically significant. Data were analyzed using coGuide_V.1.0. Results: The mean age was 44.2 years in the study population. Among the study population, 183 (63.76%) were male, and the remaining 104 (36.24%) were female. In people with Keros classification right side, 62 (21.60%) falls under Type I, 209 (72.82%) were Type II, and 16 (5.57%) were Type III. In people with Keros classification left side, 33 (11.50%) were Type I, 240 (83.62%) were Type II, and 14 (4.88%) were Type III. Conclusion: Keros Type II OF was more common in the study population, and the least common was Type III. The knowledge of OF depth may help the radiologists analyze this region's scans and minimize complications associated with surgeries in this delicate area.


How to cite this article:
Patil DT, Ullas L Y, Chaithanya A, Dhanvarsha S, Sai Nikhilendra Reddy AV, Srinivasa H. Evaluation of olfactory fossa depth using computed tomography in South Indian population: A retrospective study.J Oral Maxillofac Radiol 2021;9:40-44


How to cite this URL:
Patil DT, Ullas L Y, Chaithanya A, Dhanvarsha S, Sai Nikhilendra Reddy AV, Srinivasa H. Evaluation of olfactory fossa depth using computed tomography in South Indian population: A retrospective study. J Oral Maxillofac Radiol [serial online] 2021 [cited 2021 Dec 7 ];9:40-44
Available from: https://www.joomr.org/article.asp?issn=2321-3841;year=2021;volume=9;issue=2;spage=40;epage=44;aulast=Patil;type=0